You come in contact with toxins on a daily basis even if you don’t know it. Toxins are not just the harmful chemicals you see in rat poison or bathroom cleaners. They are present in the most innocuous of places, like your carpets and even your walls! Read on to know the 5 common toxins in the home.
VOCs(volatile organic compounds) are chemicals that vaporize quickly and are present in many household products like new carpets, indoor paints, particle boards, cleaning products, and makeup. Exposure to VOCs can cause eye and nose irritation, headaches, and dizziness. Prolonged contact may even increase your risk for certain cancers.
Fungal toxins are present in most homes but they can pose serious health risks including respiratory reactions, suppression of the immune system and even increased cancer risk. Molds are present in damp and dark spaces, contaminated buildings and in HVAC units.
Pesticides are toxic chemicals present in most gardening sprays and pest control products, lawn treatments and even fruits and meat. Acute exposure can cause eye and nose irritation. Prolonged exposure can cause damage to the nerves and the brain, increase a person’s risk for cancer and even cause liver and kidney damage. When ingested, pesticides are lethal and therefore should be kept out of the reach of children and pets. It is important to follow the manufacturer’s orders when it comes to application and storage of pesticides.
Phthalates and PVC
Phthalates are a wide class of industrial grade chemical compounds. They are often used to make plastics softer and more flexible. They are found in many household items such as cosmetics and personal care products, plastics and vinyl toys, wallpaper, raincoats, packaging, detergent, fragrances and soft plastics, vinyl flooring, among others. The danger with phthalates is that they can disrupt the action of some hormones and may affect human reproduction.
These are chemical substances that are produced during incomplete combustion from waste incineration, various factory processes and burning of organic matter like wood or coal. Dioxins are also present in animal fats. To avoid dioxin exposure, homeowners are encouraged to avoid burning contaminated materials such as plastics, wood treated with chemicals, and materials containing chlorine.
The home should be the safest place for your family, but invisible dangers are present in every corner. You can minimize your exposure to toxins by choosing your toiletries, furniture, cleaning products, and even your food carefully to make sure that they do not contain these harmful chemicals. Better yet, switch to all-natural and organic products to further reduce your exposure to toxins.